Sunday, October 11, 2009

rachel's birthday, etcetera.




This past week, my friends and I celebrated our dear friend, Rachel's, 21st birthday. My, oh my. What a week. The celebration began on Wednesday and hasn't officially ended as of today, considering each one of our friends brings over a new batch of brownies every day post-her official party on Thursday night. Score.

Rage-el's celebration took place in "The Cave," the appropriate nickname for our suite, which is generally dark and involves snuggling at all times of the day. However, on that wild Thursday night our suite turned into "The Rave," as we danced (solely on elevated surfaces) to "Bottoms Up" and "All the Above," had delicious punch prepared by Lizzy and celebrated with 60 plus of Rachel's friends. Thanks to the girls of 406, everyone had a great time...and we have plenty of evidence pictures to share with Rachel's friends and family!

On Friday night, Rachel's sweet family hosted us at their farm in Chattanooga. They have a beautiful home situated among radiant sunflower fields and wooded mountains in eastern Tennessee that reminded me of how amazing an artist God truly is. It was absolutely breathtaking. In addition to letting us escape Vandy's campus for the weekend, Rachel's precious parents cooked us a delectable meal on Friday evening that consisted of yummy BBQ-ed meats, a rich squash casserole and mouthwatering mushroom appetizers. Nom-nom. We're not really sure what's in them (we are probably better off not knowing), but they were a hit. Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Dyer for a restful weekend in Chat Town!


As much as I wanted to stay at the farm all weekend long, I had to drive back on Saturday afternoon to get some work done because I have three midterms this week. That's right, three. I know it will all get done. I know in the end, grades don't really matter - it's our character and our hearts that count...right? Well, that's what I tell myself when I start to get overwhelmed. I'm working on de-perfecting my talent of worrying. I guess it's a product of my genes, the educational environment I grew up around and my natural tendencies to want to control everything around me. Ah. Like I said, I'm working on it...

This past weekend, my best friend's mom had a very serious and extremely painful surgery that thankfully went well. She didn't have any serious complications, but the idea of watching a loved one suffer helplessly in a hospital bed makes me cringe with an unfamiliar fear. I've never experienced it, but I know I won't leave this world without at least an introduction. She and I talked about worry. We talked about control, or lack there of, and I found that the advice I was giving her has such relevance in my life at the moment. Well, in all of our lives - at whatever stage. I reminded her that worrying gets us nowhere in life. That God has a plan for all of us, and no matter how unclear it may seem at times, things do work out. All we can do is breathe and hold onto our faith. And that's the mantra I plan to repeat over and over in my head this week, as I cram study for my exams.

Of course, what would a crazy week of exams be without the occasional dance party? Off to rage with AL and Lizzy..."Is that a thunderstorm I hear?" It's raining men!

Lots of love to all! Sorry for my epic failure to blog more regularly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love Sundays. And laughing.